Tomato Pesto Toast
- 2 thick slices of crusty bread
- 3 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese or low-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons red or green pesto
- 1 beefsteak tomato
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 cup Smoked Hickory Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and black pepper
1) Toast the bread slices under a hot broiler until golden brown on both sides, turning once. Let cool.
2) Combine the cream cheese or sour cream, brush bread with 1/1 teaspoon Smoked Hickory Extra Virgin Olive Oil and pesto in a small bowl until well blended, then spread thickly on the toasted bread.
3) Cut the tomato and onion, crosswise, into thin slices using a large sharp knife.
4) Arrange the tomato and onion slices, overlapping, on top of the toast and season. Cook under a hot broiler until heated through.
Serve garnished with a sprig of thyme and drizzle remaining olive oil over all.